David Ford was re-elected as Minister for the Department of Justice on 16 May 2011, having secured the necessary cross-community support within the NI Assembly.
Before embarking on a full-time political career he was a Social Worker with the Northern Health and Social Services Board in Antrim, Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus.
- Alliance Leader since October 2001
- Alliance Chief Whip, 1998-2001.
- Elected to Northern Ireland Assembly, 1998, 2003 and 2007 (South Antrim).
- Elected to Antrim Borough Council (Antrim SE) 1993 and 1997; (Antrim Town) 2005. Resigned on election as Minister.
- Alliance Party General Secretary 1990 - 1998
Northern Ireland Assembly
- Member of Statutory Committees on Agriculture & Rural Development, and the Environment in 1998 mandate, and the Environment Committee from 2007 to 2010.
- Member of the Business Committee 1998-2001
- Member of Assembly All-Party Groups on International Development, Mental Health and Animal Welfare.
- Chair of Council Fairtrade Working Group
- Governor, Round Tower Integrated Primary School, Antrim
- Member of District Policing Partnership, 2005-07
- Former member of Northern Health and Social Services Council.
- Has served on Lower Bann and Lough Neagh Advisory Committees, and Lower Bann Leader.
Mr Ford is married with three daughters and one son.