- Ford – Progress will continue at Magilligan prison
Justice Minister David Ford MLA has welcomed an inspection report on Magilligan Prison.
Thursday, 26 February 2015
- Incident ends at Maghaberry Prison
Northern Ireland Prison Service (NIPS) Director General Sue McAllister has confirmed the incident at Roe House in Maghaberry Prison has ended.
Monday, 2 February 2015
- Prisoner unlawfully at large
The Northern Ireland Prison Service has confirmed that a life sentence prisoner has failed to return to Maghaberry prison.
Wednesday, 24 December 2014
- 130 prisoners granted Christmas Home Leave
The Prison Service has granted 130 prisoners Christmas Home Leave. Their periods of temporary release have been granted for varying periods from 23 December 2014 until 2 January 2015. Conditions have been placed on all successful applicants.
Tuesday, 23 December 2014
- Justice Minister attends Prison Service annual carol service
Justice Minister, David Ford today joined hundreds of staff and their guests at the Annual Prison Service carol service at St Anneís Cathedral, Belfast.
Sunday, 14 December 2014
- Prison Service responds to Ombudsman’s report into death of prisoner
Prison Service Director General, Sue McAllister today responded to the report by the Prisoner Ombudsman into the death of a prisoner whilst in the custody of Maghaberry Prison.
Wednesday, 3 December 2014
- Ford attends Prisons Week service
Justice Minister David Ford this evening attended a service at St. Patrickís Church, Donegall Street, Belfast, to mark Prisons Week.
Wednesday, 19 November 2014
- Review of Maghaberry Prison Agreement
The Maghaberry Prison Agreement which was published in August 2010, set out a process to deliver a safe, decent and secure regime. This work was led by an independent Joint Facilitation Group.
Wednesday, 12 November 2014
- Ford welcomes ‘safety of prisoners’ report
Justice Minister David Ford has welcomed a report into prisoner safety by the Criminal Justice Inspectorate (CJINI) and Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA).
Wednesday, 22 October 2014
- Innovative projects address mental health issues in prison
Vulnerable prisoners in Northern Ireland are benefiting from innovative Pet Therapy.
Friday, 10 October 2014
- Ford highlights progress on Drugs at Maghaberry
Supporting people with addiction problems is a vital part of the three pronged approach to address the issue of drugs in prisons.
Friday, 26 September 2014
- Prison Service Director General responds to Ombudsman’s report into death of prisoner
Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister today responded to the report by the Prisoner Ombudsman into the death of a prisoner whilst in the custody of Maghaberry Prison.
Wednesday, 6 August 2014
- Burren House to prepare prisoners for return to the community
Northern Ireland Prison Service has opened Burren House, a Working Out Unit for prisoners approaching the end of long-term sentences.
Wednesday, 21 May 2014
- Prison Service Director General responds to Ombudsman’s Report into death of prisoner
Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister today responded to the report by the Prisoner Ombudsman into the death in custody of a prisoner, identified as Mr F, at Maghaberry Prison.
Wednesday, 7 May 2014
- Director General thanks Prison staff for professionalism and dedication
Northern Ireland Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has paid tribute to all prison staff who have retired over the past two years as part of the Voluntary Early Retirement (VER) Scheme.
Friday, 2 May 2014
- Prison Service Director General responds to Ombudsman’s report on death of vulnerable prisoner
Northern Ireland Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has said todayís Prisoner Ombudsmanís report on the death in custody of a vulnerable prisoner in 2012 makes difficult reading.
Wednesday, 30 April 2014
- Early retirements approved for final 28 prison staff
Justice Minister David Ford has announced that funding has been secured to complete the Voluntary Early Retirement scheme (VER) for prison staff.
Thursday, 1 May 2014
- Ford welcomes positive report on prisoner escort services
Justice Minister David Ford has welcomed the very positive report by Criminal Justice Inspection (CJINI) into Prisoner Escorting and Court Custody Services (PECCS) in Northern Ireland.
Thursday, 10 April 2014
- New Governor for Hydebank Wood
Northern Ireland Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has announced that Austin Treacy has been appointed as the Governor of Hydebank Wood Young Offenders Centre and Womenís Prison.
Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Prison Braille Unit helps children in Malawi
Justice Minister David Ford has praised the efforts of prisoners in the Braille Unit at Maghaberry Prison.
Monday, 17 February 2014
- Ford praises Barnardo's and Maghaberry staff
Justice Minister David Ford has paid tribute to the dedication of Barnardo's and Prison Service staff who work with offenders in the Family Matters Unit landing in Maghaberry Prison.
Wednesday, 12 February 2014
- Learning and Skills Prison Contracts Awarded
Justice Minister David Ford has announced the organisations which have been awarded interim contracts for the provision of learning and skills in prisons
Thursday, 23 January 2014
- News Archive
NI Prison service Press Releases
Friday, 1 April 2011