- Ford highlights progress on Drugs at Maghaberry
Supporting people with addiction problems is a vital part of the three pronged approach to address the issue of drugs in prisons.
Friday, 26 September 2014
- Prison Service Director General responds to Ombudsman’s report into death of prisoner
Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister today responded to the report by the Prisoner Ombudsman into the death of a prisoner whilst in the custody of Maghaberry Prison.
Wednesday, 6 August 2014
- Burren House to prepare prisoners for return to the community
Northern Ireland Prison Service has opened Burren House, a Working Out Unit for prisoners approaching the end of long-term sentences.
Wednesday, 21 May 2014
- Prison Service Director General responds to Ombudsman’s Report into death of prisoner
Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister today responded to the report by the Prisoner Ombudsman into the death in custody of a prisoner, identified as Mr F, at Maghaberry Prison.
Wednesday, 7 May 2014
- Director General thanks Prison staff for professionalism and dedication
Northern Ireland Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has paid tribute to all prison staff who have retired over the past two years as part of the Voluntary Early Retirement (VER) Scheme.
Friday, 2 May 2014
- Prison Service Director General responds to Ombudsman’s report on death of vulnerable prisoner
Northern Ireland Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has said today’s Prisoner Ombudsman’s report on the death in custody of a vulnerable prisoner in 2012 makes difficult reading.
Wednesday, 30 April 2014
- Early retirements approved for final 28 prison staff
Justice Minister David Ford has announced that funding has been secured to complete the Voluntary Early Retirement scheme (VER) for prison staff.
Thursday, 1 May 2014
- Ford welcomes positive report on prisoner escort services
Justice Minister David Ford has welcomed the very positive report by Criminal Justice Inspection (CJINI) into Prisoner Escorting and Court Custody Services (PECCS) in Northern Ireland.
Thursday, 10 April 2014
- New Governor for Hydebank Wood
Northern Ireland Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has announced that Austin Treacy has been appointed as the Governor of Hydebank Wood Young Offenders Centre and Women’s Prison.
Wednesday, 19 February 2014
- Prison Braille Unit helps children in Malawi
Justice Minister David Ford has praised the efforts of prisoners in the Braille Unit at Maghaberry Prison.
Monday, 17 February 2014
- Ford praises Barnardo's and Maghaberry staff
Justice Minister David Ford has paid tribute to the dedication of Barnardo's and Prison Service staff who work with offenders in the Family Matters Unit landing in Maghaberry Prison.
Wednesday, 12 February 2014
- Learning and Skills Prison Contracts Awarded
Justice Minister David Ford has announced the organisations which have been awarded interim contracts for the provision of learning and skills in prisons
Thursday, 23 January 2014
- 92 prisoners granted Christmas Home Leave
The Prison Service has granted 92 prisoners Christmas Home Leave. Their periods of temporary release range from two to nine days, between 24 December 2013 and 2 January 2014.
Tuesday, 24 December 2013
- Ford joins congregation at prison carol service
Justice Minister David Ford today joined with serving and former members of the Prison Service and their families at the annual Prison Service Carol Service at St. Anne’s Cathedral in Belfast.
Sunday, 15 December 2013
- Minister launches ‘Mugshots’
The Justice Minister today praised the efforts of those individuals working with prisoners as he launched a social enterprise project for young offenders at Hydebank Wood.
Wednesday, 27 November 2013
- Prison Service responds to Ombudsman’s Report on death of Mr ‘D’
The Prison Service responded today to the Prisoner Ombudsman’s Report into Mr ‘D’ who died at home on the day following his release from prison.
Wednesday, 27 November 2013
- Ford attends Prisons Week service
Justice Minister David Ford this evening attended a service at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church in Belfast’s Donegall Street to mark Prisons’ Week.
Wednesday, 20 November 2013
- Ford commends improved success against drugs in prison
Justice Minister David Ford has said there is a renewed effort to deal with drugs in our prisons.
Tuesday, 19 November 2013
- Justice Minister pays tribute to Prison Service dead
Justice Minister David Ford today paid tribute to the members of the Northern Ireland Prison Service who lost their lives as a result of their service
Friday, 8 November 2013
- David Black remembered at Maghaberry Service
Justice Minister David Ford and Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister today joined with prison staff, family members and friends of the late David Black, on the first anniversary of his death, at a memorial service in Maghaberry Prison.
Friday, 1 November 2013
- Ford praises prison partnership working
Justice Minister David Ford has praised the work of the statutory, voluntary and community organisations who are working with the Prison Service to reform the organisation.
Wednesday, 23 October 2013
- Ford : “Fundamental prisons reform programme is on track.”
Justice Minister David Ford, MLA, today told the Assembly that the reform programme to bring about fundamental change in the Prison Service is on track.
Monday, 21 October 2013
- Joint NIPS/PSNI partnership to tackle drugs at Maghaberry
The Northern Ireland Prison Service and the Police Service of Northern Ireland have embarked on major joint initiative to reduce the drug supply within Maghaberry Prison.
Friday, 18 October 2013
- Prison Service responds to Hydebank Wood Inspection Report Findings
Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has said that the ongoing reform of the Prison Service will deliver sustainable change which will lead to positive outcomes for prisoners.
Tuesday, 1 October 2013
- Minister welcomes publication of NIPS Employability Strategy
Justice Minister David Ford has welcomed the publication of the first Prison Service Employability Strategy.
Friday, 20 September 2013
- Director General hands over Braille Bible to local church
Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has handed over a Bible in Braille to Maghaberry Elim Pentecostal Church.
Thursday, 5 September 2013
- Ford opens exhibition of prison art
The exhibition, organised by the Prison Art Foundation (PAF), will run until 10th August to coincide with the World Police and Fire Games and features artefacts made from prisoners who were incarcerated in each of Northern Ireland’s prisons, with some of the exhibits dating back to the Maze.
Thursday, 1 August 2013
- Ford says partnership working is crucial to successful prison reform
Justice Minister David Ford today outlined plans for enhanced partnership arrangements as part of the ongoing reform of the Prison Service.
Thursday, 27 June 2013
- Prison Service confirm Maghaberry Prison death
Northern Ireland Prison Service can confirm the death of a prisoner at Maghaberry Prison
Tuesday, 7 May 2013
- Prison Service Director General responds to Ombudsman’s Report into near death prisoner
Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister today responded to the report by the Prisoner Ombudsman into the circumstances surrounding the ‘near death in custody’ of ‘Mr C’ at Maghaberry Prison last year.
Wednesday, 1 May 2013
- Justice Minister and NIACRO launch Challenge Hate Crime Project Research Papers
Justice Minister David Ford MLA today launched a series of research papers compiled following a unique pilot programme set up to specifically examine and address how hate crime and sectarianism is dealt with in Northern Ireland
Thursday, 25 April 2013
- Ford outlines proposals for future investment in prison estate
Justice Minister David Ford today outlined proposals for a future £202m. investment in the prison estate.
Tuesday, 19 March 2013
- Ford opens new £12M Quoile House at Maghaberry
Justice Minister David Ford today opened the new 120 cell Quoile House prisoner accommodation block at Maghaberry Prison.
Wednesday, 20 February 2013
- Prison Service transformation continues - Ford
Justice Minister David Ford has attended a graduation service for twenty-three new Custody Officers at the Prison Service College in Millisle.
Friday, 25 January 2013
- 72 Prisoners granted christmas home leave
The Prison Service has granted 72 prisoners Christmas Home Leave. Their periods of temporary release have been granted for varying periods from 21 December 2013 until Wednesday 2 January 2013.
Friday, 21 December 2012
- Director General Welcomes Maghaberry Progress
Prison Service Director General Sue McAllister has welcomed the publication of the latest inspection report on Maghaberry Prison
Sunday, 16 December 2012
- News Archive
NI Prison service Press Releases
Friday, 1 April 2011