Prison Service College Millisle
The Prison Service College is on the outskirts of Millisle, Co Down. The estate comprises the main college building, gymnasium, workshops, dog section training unit and a number of residential properties. The Prison Service College also has out-stations for Firearms and Control and Restraint training.
Its role is to support the Northern Ireland Prison Service in achieving its objectives by:
- developing and implementing training strategies which meets the business needs of the Service;
- supporting local management in identifying the skills, knowledge and aptitudes required for all posts and locations within the Service and developing staff training programmes to meet those needs;
- providing quality development and training to help staff carry out their agreed role and fulfil their agreed potential;
- evaluating training and development to ensure its effectiveness;
- producing and developing the training and development of NIPS specialists; and
- managing the central training budget to ensure value for money.
The core business of the College includes induction training, discipline training for recruits and officers, management development, professional development through a wide range of nationally recognised vocational qualifications, specialist training including incident management, hostage awareness, level 2 search training and specialist dog training skills.